Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Third Person

I've noticed that when I'm talking to the boys, I refer to myself in the third person. It doesn't happen all of the time, and probably not even the majority of the time. But for whatever reason, I occasionally find myself saying things like, "Mommy said no wrestling on the couch", "Mommy said no jumping on the furniture", or "Mommy is getting your juice as fast as she can."
This manner of speaking seems to be reserved specially for Jacob & Alex. If memory serves correctly, I'm certain I've never greeted Jeff in the evening with, "Come eat this dinner that Lauren made," or called a friend to say, "Hey, Lauren was wondering how your day was."

Is this a mom thing? Or is Lauren in the minority here?

Well, today, as Jacob & I were hugging, I heard myself doing it again.
Me: "Mommy loves you."
I guess speaking in the third person can be contagious, because he looked at me with such sincerity & seriousness, and replied:
"Jacob loves you too."

This made Lauren laugh and she hopes you find it at least half as cute as she did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not alone. "Mommy Tricia" refers to herself in third person and she repeats herself a lot.

Anonymous said...

That was too funny! I love Jacob's little quotes. And the third person syndrome... I'm pretty sure that is a "Mommy-thing." Almost every mom I have been around has done the same thing! At least that is what Courtney thinks. ;o)

Dina said...

Dina's laughing because you're so on point with this observation! Totally a mom thing. Either that, or Mama's going crazy right along with ya... :)
p.s. And do you even need to ask if we find Jacob's comment "at least half as cute?" Pu-leaze. :)